WebP has much less size than PNG, JPG and other formats.
Google purchased WebP from On2 Technologies. Read more at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP.
How to convert png or jpg to WebP.
There are two different options:
- You can upload and convert png or jpg at online file converter:
- Download Google WebP Converter at: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp
- The plugin to Adobe Photoshop (Read how to load the plugin: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html)
Option 1 has limited files then else you have to purchase for extra files.
Option 2 have to get Adobe Photoshop and faster to convert many images to webp but it is not free for get Adobe Photoshop.
If you want to support WebP at WordPress then you have to choose two options:
- Any web hostings have support lossless compression to WebP. For example SiteGround has own WordPress Plugin as called SG Optimizer (https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/sg-optimizer/ or https://wordpress.org/plugins/sg-cachepress/)
- You can also choose other options to download WordPress plugin if your web hosting haven’t support WebP:
- Cache Enabler – WordPress Cache (https://wordpress.org/plugins/cache-enabler/)
- Imagify (https://wordpress.org/plugins/imagify/)
- Read more at How to Use WebP Images on WordPress (And Shrink Image File Sizes up to 35%)
Don’t forget to insert code to wp-config.php: